(Saturday) 8:00 pm
RIVETING DANCE. VANGUARD ARTISTS. BOLD IDEAS. FODAR is back for its 8th season! Eight years and counting! Whether you’re new to dance or you’re
RIVETING DANCE. VANGUARD ARTISTS. BOLD IDEAS.
FODAR is back for its 8th season!
Eight years and counting! Whether you’re new to dance or you’re a committed fan, you’ll find Festival of Dance Annapolis Royal’s lively and eclectic programming has broad appeal. A fixture on Canada’s dance festival scene, FODAR 2022 presents four Main Stage dance performances that push boundaries.
Mainstage Shows feature two programs:
Program One runs Thursday, July 21 at 8pm and Saturday, July 23 at 2pm
Program Two runs Friday, July 22, and Saturday, July 23 at 8pm
(World Premiere) A contemporary circus and dance work that celebrates the intimate, slightly eerie, and bizarre magic that follows a glimpse through a window.
Produced by Leah Skerry
Choreographed and performed by Leah Skerry, Anastasia Wiebe and Lydia Zimmer
I DREAM IN WAMPUM
Enter into a world of Indigenous Futurism with A’nó:wara Dance Theatre as we follow a Mohawk youth on a journey through the stars to discover their ancestors and the Sky World.
Choreographed and performed by Barbara Kaneratonni Diabo and Marshall Kahente Diabo
THE HIGH HEART
The last work by Canadian dance icon Patricia Beatty. “…the strongest few minutes of original dance creation witnessed in this city in a long time…” – Critics At Large (Toronto)
Choreographer: Patricia Beatty. Dancer Nicole Rose Bond
Another chance to catch ferocious Mesozoic play performed by Rock Bottom Movement. Feel the hot rocks, freeze through winter and start anew.
Choreographer: Alyssa Martin. Dancers: Drew Berry, Brayden Jamil Cairns, Samantha Grist, Natasha Poon Woo
Our MainStage shows this year are a powerhouse collection of dance and movement performed by outstanding artists in a confluence works that touch on drama, theatre, comedy, and circus arts. Here are some of the highlights:
• Halifax/Montreal-based trapeze specialist Leah Skerry presents her new aerial silks trio which she performs with popular Halifax dance artists Lydia Zimmer and Anastasia Wiebe.
• Internationally acclaimed Sarah Murphy has performed works by choreographic greats who include Jiri Kylián and Ohad Naharin. She takes to the FODAR MainStage with “Enfant” by Netherlands-based choreographer Joeri Dubbe
• Sarah Murphy also performs the duet “Playground” with the electrifying Olivier Coëffard who dancer with the legendary Nederlands Dans Theater from 2012 to 2019.
• Originally from Ghana now based in Halifax, Liliona Quarmyne choreographs and performs internationally and across Canada. She dances her original solo work “Resonances of a Warrior Boy”at the festival.
• Award winning dancer and choreographer Barbara Kaneratonni Diabo is Kanien’keha:ka (Mohawk) from Kahnawake. She is the Artistic Director of A’nó:wara Dance Theatre and brings a stage version of her electrifying film “Smudge” which she performs with Marshall Kahente Diabo.
• An exquisite dancer, Toronto-based Nicole Rose Bond performs the riveting solo “The High Heart” (2009), the last work created by Canadian dance icon Patricia Beatty (1936-2020).
• Rock Bottom Movement is blurring the boundaries of theatre and dance as it presents refreshingly approachable art. This surreal and tongue-in-cheek company brings a new production to FODAR. Prepare to be disconcerted and delighted.
$26 Adult (SPECIAL: Program One & Two Pass: $40)
$14 Youth (SPECIAL: Program One & Two Pass: $20)
*Royalty Card discount does not apply to this event
Doors open 45 minutes before showtime.
Visit the FODAR Website for more information